Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Beginning

So I'll start with my story,
My name is Kira James Burleson (Kira Bee) and I was adopted from Hunan, China when I was 10 months old.  Currently I live in Boulder, CO and have been studying Chinese for more than 9 years (off and on). There is little to no information on my biological parents and since Hunan is a huge province there is only speculation that my home town is Chang De. Through CCAI, my parents, Laura Caruso and Joe Burleson, were able to bring me back to the states and I became a citizen in 1997. I have just recently started to understand and explore the emotional aspects about being adopted because up until about a month ago I was in complete denial of the issues that come with being adopted.

Recently I was offered an amazing opportunity to go to Zheng Zhou, China and volunteer at Lily's Care Center. I will be the youngest person to ever volunteer with CCAI in this capacity. I leave May 27th and return July 7th, flying in and out of Beijing and taking a high speed train to Zheng Zhou. I will be staying in the orphanage and will assume the duties of a nanny, which means I will be assigned a couple of babies that I will be responsible for (feeding, changing, bathing). Words cannot even start to describe my excitement about this trip! I hope to gain closure and grow as a person throughout this journey.
Kira

No comments:

Post a Comment